Thursday, November 4, 2010

digital storytelling

WOW! I had trouble uploading, downloading, getting my microphone to work, trying to get the music at the correct volume and now, I AM SO READY TO DO IT ALL AGAIN!! My preschoolers LOVED seeing themselves in the story! Talk about a bunch of preschoolers clamoring to want to know how it all worked ! I was so excited too. (never thought I 'd type those words in).  Very scared of next project but I will say as my preschoolers do, " I think I can, I think I can!"
The digital storytelling can be used in the classroom in so many ways.  The teacher can direct the story or the students can. We made a digital story in my room that the children collaborated on and made with minimal direction from me and they are PRESCHOOLERS! They were so excited and really took ownership of the project. They retained the information much better because they were figuring out a lot of it for themselves.  In this instance, the technology method of the storytelling was more effective than the traditional method. A class book which would have taken a day or two to put together , due to having to get the digital prints printed at a local store, was able to be completed in a few minutes as we downloaded the pictures immediately.  The children LOVED hearing their own voices in the story. I think this is important too for speech issues. It gives a teacher something that a parent can actually listen to and may help them understand a teacher's concern for a child's speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment